The Intellijel Firmware Updater software allows you to upgrade select Intellijel modules from a computer running Mac OS X 10.8 (Mavericks) or later, or from a Windows PC running Windows 7 or later.
The modules currently supported by the Firmware Updater are:
For AVR MCU-based products the Firmware Updater software requires the Intellijel USB ISP.
ARM MCU-based products can be updated directly via their USB port.
You can download the latest version of the Firmware Updater for your OS by clicking one of the buttons below:
Advanced users with their own ISP can download the firmware hex files. Metropolis uses an ATmega328 MCU. Mutamix uses an ATmega168.
The firmware updater includes a copy of avrdude (GPLv2), libusb and libftdi (LGPL). The sources are available here.
Mac OS X Installation
The OS X version of the Firmware Updater does not require any drivers to be installed. You simply need to extract the zip file and run the application.
- Double-click the downloaded zip file to unzip it. It should extract one file called
Intellijel Firmware Updater.app
- Connect the USB ISP to your computer’s USB port and launch the app. You should see the firmware updater window:
Continue to the Usage tab above to learn how to update your module’s firmware.
The Windows version of the Firmware Updater requires drivers to be installed. There is a separate driver required for AVR-based and ARM-based products. Install one or both of the drivers depending on which product(s) you will be updating. Instructions for the driver installation are given below.
- Unzip the downloaded zip file. It should contain four files:
Intellijel Firmware Updater.exe
- Follow the instructions below to install the driver(s) for your product(s).
- Go back to where you extracted your download of the Firmware Updater and launch the app by double-clicking
Intellijel Firmware Updater.exe
- Continue to the Usage tab above for instructions on how to upgrade your module firmware.
AVR USB ISP driver
This driver is required for Metropolis, Mutamix, Plog, µScale, or µStep only.
- The zip files prefixed with usbtiny_ contain the necessary drivers for the ISP. Depending on if you are on Windows XP/7 or Windows 8, unzip the corresponding zip file.
- Connect the USB ISP to your computer’s USB port. Windows will indicate it’s attempting to install a driver.
- Go to the start menu and search for and launch “Device Manager”
- In “Device Manager” under “Other devices” you should see a device named “Intellijel USB ISP” (or for some versions of the device, “FabISP”). Right click on the device and select “Update Driver Software…”
- From the next dialog select “Browse my computer for driver software”:
- Browse to the location where you extracted the zip file containing the driver and select the driver directory:
- Windows will install the driver. If everything completes successfully you should see a new category in “Device Manager” called “libsusb-win32 devices” with a device called “USBtiny”. You’re now ready to use the Firmware Updater.
ARM STM32 BOOTLOADER driver
- Connect a USB cable to your module and start it in bootloader mode. Check the manual for the specific module for instructions on how to activate this.
- Windows will indicate it’s attempting to find a driver:
- Wait till the driver installation fails:
- Double click on the
zadig_2.2.exefile which extracted from the downloaded zip file.
- The driver installer software, “Zadig”, will appear with the window as below. Ensure that the device “STM32 BOOTLOADER” is selected in the dropdown and that the driver is set to “WinUSB”. Note that you may need to enable “List all devices” in the Zadig options to see the STM32 BOOTLOADER.
- Click the large “Install Driver” button. You will be prompted to confirm the driver installation. Click the “Install” button:
- Windows will install the driver. If everything completes successfully you should see the “STM32 Bootloader” device appear in the “Universal Serial Bus devices” section of Device Manager.
Once you’ve installed and launched the Firmware Updater application, follow these instructions to update the firmware of your module:
- Connect the Intellijel USB ISP to your PC or Mac computer’s USB port.
- Connect the ribbon cable from the USB ISP to the port labelled “ICSP” on the back of your module. Ensure the side of the cable with the red stripe is next to the white line on the PCB.
- Leave the module connected and powered by your Eurorack power supply.
- In the Firmware Updater app select the product you are updating from the product dropdown list. If you are updating a Metropolis checking the markings on the PCB for the revision and make sure you select the right product revision. Selecting the wrong revision won’t damage your module but the module may not function correctly with the wrong firmware installed.
- Select the firmware version you will be updating to.
- Click the “Update” button. You will see the progress of the update in the log window and your module may begin to flash. You will see an “Update completed successfully” message at the end of the update.
- If there are any problems please contact us via the Help button. Be sure to include the full log window output, the firmware updater version downloaded, and the OS you are using.