Cylonix and Intellijel have collaborated to bring you a very sophisticated and deeply complex Wavetable VCO. At the core of this module is very powerful FPGA board that he has pushed to the absolute max of its capabilities and crammed full of features. We wanted to create a module that really worked well in the modular context so there are a lot of modulation and control possibilities.
Features at a glance:
- preset sequencing and morphing
- extremely high resolution TZFM
- delay based resonator,
- 64 band vocoder mode
- special audiorate modulation modes (MOD A)
- analog wavefolder
- extensive sync, pulse and modB options
- detuneable 8 note chords and tons more
Each VCO can select from 128 banks of wavetables , each with 8 individual 512-sample waveforms for a total of 1024 waves.
The choice of waveform within the currently selected bank is under voltage control. There is smooth interpolation between the waveforms within a bank, allowing a very wide range of different possible waveshapes.
Oscillator 1 can be operated in a CHORD mode, which runs 8 copies of the oscillator in parallel with adjustable detuning, leading to very fat, rich waveforms. The oscillators have extensive modulation capabilities including audio rate (98KHz) Frequency and Phase Modulation (FM and PM) via external sources. Nonlinear combination processes allow the outputs of the two oscillators to interact to generate complex timbres and sonic textures.
There are 64 user selectable chords.
The SHAPESHIFTER module also includes the analog wave folder circuitry from
module to add analog warmth and metallic rasps to the digital oscillator output.
External signals can also be patched in.
The module includes a sophisticated preset mode where panel settings can be stored. There are 12 user-programmable preset slots and another 52 volatile slots that can be used as a scratchpad. These scratchpad slots are initialized to interesting presets on module powerup. The capabilities of the preset mode is not limited to mere passive storage of settings, however. In this mode the user can also step through, or sequence, the settings, either in order or randomly in response to pulses input to the external sync input. This gives the user the ability to generate complex sequences of sounds. The preset mode also allows the user to morph between the current panel settings and a preset providing a very powerful real-time performance tool.
8 Different sync modes: HARD, SOFT, REV, HOLD, BUMP, 2=1, 1=2, OFF
with the ability to internally sync to a sub oscillator
User selectable modes for the PULSE output: OR, AND, XOR, GLCH, +OSC1, EOC, +OSC2, -OSC2
MOD A modes: (audio rate modulation)
COMBO IN, SHAPE IN, PHASEMOD, VOCODER
MOD B options (all with CV control)
-Combo modes for OSC1 and OSC2:
NORMAL, RING, MIN, PONG, INLV, AND, XOR, GLCH
-Chord mode overdrive
-Delay depth and FB
-Percussive mode decay time
upgrade instructions are in the manual
Changed: encoder selection for CHORD TYPE or BANK now wraps around the entire list but quick rotation will shortcut you (stop) at the list end or beginning.
Fixed: COMB+LOAD operation to initialize all settings to zero.
- Added: the CHORD TYPE parameter can now be controlled by the MODB signal.
- Added: the wave bank selection for oscillators 1 and 2 can now be controlled by the MODB signal.
- Added: the two oscillators now have independently selectable SYNC MODES, and both now have 1-shot and Hold modes.
- Added: pressing the INT. SYNC button twice causes the internal sync event generator to drop in frequency by one octave (the INT. SYNC LED flashes when this mode is selected).
- Added: when the QUANT. button is pressed twice the PITCH2 input becomes a CLOCK input for oscillator 2, where the period of the oscillator 2 cycle is equal to the input clock period. The QUANT. led flashes in this mode. In this mode the RATIO input sets the clock division/multiplication factor.
- Added: 8 more pulse modes, including PWM, Square and random.
- Added: added another mode to the PRESET STEP menu, where the preset is randomized on each step.
- Added: pressing COMBO MODE and MORPH while in PRESET MODE randomizes the settings.
- Added: pressing DETUNE and LOAD while in PRESET MODE displays the firmware version.
- Added: the oscillator 2 output can be directed to modulate the SHAPE1 or TILT parameters.
- Added: the MODA signal can now be used to serve as the SYNC source for oscillator 1 or to step presets.
- Changed: the DECAY parameter range has been changed to give a smoother change with more values at longer decay times.
- Changed: the PERC. MODE LED now flashes when the Gate behaviour is selected (by pressing the PERC. MODE button twice).
- Changed: the initial part of the INT. FM control curve has been changed to give more resolution at the low end.
- Changed: the number of presets has been increased to 100 and all presets are now stored in non-volatile memory. The presets now have user-definable 8-character labels, which can be randomized.
- Changed: the number of the last preset to be loaded or saved is remembered, and is loaded upon powerup (previously preset# 1 was loaded on powerup).
- Changed: the range of the TILT parameter has been lowered by a factor of 4. This gives more resolution in the interesting range of the tilt effect.
- Changed: the bank numbers and chord type no longer wrap around, making it easier to reach the ends.
- Changed: knobs are set to soft-pickup after a preset is loaded, even when leaving preset mode. Soft-pickup action is changed so that the knob takes over from the preset value when it is moved a little bit.
- Changed: the labels for the MODA destinations “Shape1” and “Shape2” have been changed to “Shaper1” and “Shaper2” to better reflect the actual behaviour in these modes.
- Fixed: Added a short (4msec) delay to the MODB Preset Stepping after the sync pulse is received. This is needed because many sequencers send the gate signal before the voltage has settled to its new value.
Shapeshifer v1.04 .jic (OLD)
- Added a GATE mode to the Perc. Mode. When you
press the Perc. Mode button twice, the SYNC input acts as a gate instead
of as a trigger, allowing the sound to be sustained as along as the sync
input is high.
- Corrected logic out state (inverted in previous version).
- Added: 4 new MODA destinations, swapping Osc2 by Osc1 in the Phase, Combo, and Shape destinations, and swapping the Carrier and Modulator in the vocoder.
- Changed: The modulation range for the Phase modulation (by MODA) and the Tilt function (internal self-phase modulation of Osc1) has been increased 4-fold.
- Fixed: In version 1.01 and version 1.02 the Shape1 and Shape2 parameters were coarsely quantized when Morphing between panel and preset settings in Preset Morph mode. The Shape parameters now smoothly morph between settings.
- Fixed: The pitch of oscillator 2 increased when changing the Multi mode with QUANT turned on. The pitch now remains constant over all multi modes.
- Added: Users can now choose between just intonation or equal temperament tunings in chord mode.
- Added: Holdsync mode has been changed to do holdsync for osc1 and oneshot for osc2.
- Added: A confirmation message is now displayed when a preset is loaded.
- Added: The version number of the firmware is now displayed when entering the SplashScreen display.
- Fixed: In version 1.00 there were small discontinuities in the waveforms when the Shape1 and Shape2 parameters were rapidly modulated. These have been eliminated.